‘A man too busy to take care of his health is like a mechanic too busy to take care of his tools.’
Taking care of ourselves is important in every aspect of our life. Enhancing individual and team decision making skills.
Taking better care of ourselves involves making some changes, with goal setting being the first. Once we have set a goal, we need to then move towards it. How often do we make a New Year resolution, only to give up on it?
Taking care of ourselves is about ensuring that we give ourselves the best opportunity we can to maintain our health, creative energy, network of family and friends, and the smartest skills, in order to cope with everyday challenges and changes. When we take care of ourselves, we can improve our work productivity and safety, we can perceive more fulfillments from work, and our relationships with family and friends can be improved. And all of this helps in keeping our mind and body primed to deal with challenging situations.
EXAMPLE OF “TAKE CARE OF YOURSELF”
- When we are physically fit, have enough sleep and are eating well we are not as likely to fall into unhealthy patterns during challenging times.
- Our physical resilience and our emotional resilience are interconnected and it’s important to grow and maintain both.
- It’s important to let our brains rest- this can be something like meditation and can also be something as simple as daydreaming.
- While ‘at rest’ the brain is able to process experiences.
- This processing of experiences helps to improve our ability to solve and respond to challenges in the future.
- When we look after and care about ourselves, we demonstrate better safety behaviours and choices. This benefits ourselves but also our family, the crew and others.
- Print out the RESILIENCE Feedback Form by Clicking the following link. At the end of the discussions, write the name of the attendees on the form, note any feedback provided by the group on the form and send the form into the office. RESILIENCE SIGN-IN AND FEEDBACK FORM
- Use the Facilitator Guide as a template for conducting a meeting with your crew basis Module 4 – “Change is a Part of Living” Click the following Link to view and print the Facilitator Guide. RESILIENCE MODULE 5 – FACILITATOR GUIDE
- Click the following link to view and print the Participant Guide for Module 4 – “Change is a Part of Living” Print one guide per participant for them to use during the discussion and keep for later reference. RESILIENCE MODULE 5 – PARTICIPANT GUIDE
- DON’T FORGET TO TURN THE RESILIENCE FEEDBACK FORM TO THE OFFICE.
Thank you for your participation!